Immigration LawRelocating to a foreign country can be both exciting and unnerving for the first timer. Perhaps you have to learn a new language. Maybe, you have to make new friends. You may also have to be separated from loved ones and family, which can make it all lonesome and teary. Whatever the case may be, learning immigration law basics is like having two strings to your bow: you never know when a little knowledge will come in handy. So you’ve just acquired your visa and are making frantic preparations. How best can you ensure that your transition to a new life is as comfortable as can possibly be?

Depending on the purpose of your visit there are three main types of visas generally issued to successful applicants. You have the visitor’s permit, the student permit and the work permit. A visitor’s visa allows you entry into the foreign country as a tourist and ordinarily has the shortest duration of time of all permits (6 months to a year). A student visa is for applicants who wish to pursue their studies and its duration is determined by the length of the qualification being pursued. As for a work visa it’s basically for people who intend to carry out business or work in the foreign country.

Respecting Visa Conditions

Normally when visa is issued it is accompanied by conditions which the holder needs to respect at all times. Violating visa conditions without justification can lead to a visa revocation and subsequent deportation. So pay close attention to whatever conditions may be stipulated on it.

Most student visas restrict students to a set number of working hours per week, so working part time isn’t entirely outlawed. However, you cannot switch universities and colleges during your stay as you are only permitted to study at the institution indicated on your visa.

As for work permits, the same more or less applies with the exception that you may only work and not pursue other things like studying full-time. The visitor’s permit, on the other hand, is purely for that, visiting. So you may not work or study on a visitor’s visa.